Suburb Profile


Tuart Hill


Since 1914, the Osborne Park Agricultural Society holds its annual show at Robinson Reserve in Tuart Hill.The show is usually held around the first weekend in December on Friday and Saturday and features displays of local produce, animals and livestock, carnival attractions and fireworks. Tuart Hill has two large active recreation reserves: Grenville Reserve and Robinson Reserve. Grenville Reserve is a large cricket and football oval with facilities includes Council tennis courts, playground, cricket nets and centre wicket, change rooms, club rooms and public toilets. The ground is used by the Tuart Hill Cricket Club during summer months and various users during winter. Robinson Reserve similarly hosts cricket during summer with the Osborne Park Cricket Club being located at the reserve. Other buildings used for the Osborne Park Show are located at Robinson Reserve. Robinson Reserve is adjacent to the Osborne Library and Community Centre. There are two primary schools in Tuart H...

Read More

Yokine


The name Yokine was derived from a Nyungar language word meaning dingo (which early settlers referred to as the "native dog"). The name was chosen because the area is close to Dog Swamp. Yokine was part of the grant originally allocated to TRC Walters in 1840. Western Australian Golf Limited owned Yokine from at least 1927 and subdivided a small portion of land near the golf course. Before World War II the only house in Yokine was at the eastern end of Royal Street. Yokine experienced a housing boom after the war and much of the area near the golf course was developed by the early 1950s. The southern area grew rapidly in the 1960s and by the late 1970s Yokine was almost completely developed. The entrance of the Dog Swamp Shopping Centre. Dog Swamp Shopping Centre is a major shopping centre, located in Yokine. The shopping centre was first opened in 1967. Prior to being taken over by the Westpac Diversified Property Trust, the centre was owned by the Foodland ...

Read More

Osborne Park


Osborne Park was named after William Osborne, a butcher who owned an abattoir and land on Wanneroo Road and who was elected to the Perth Road Board (the City of Stirling's predecessor), in 1875. Osborne Park was part of an original crown grant of 6,020 acres given to T. R. C. Walters in 1840. After the death of Walters in 1874, William Osborne bought part of his estate, which included the area now known as Osborne Park. The suburb was originally market gardens, due to rich peaty soil from the swamps between Lake Monger and Herdsman Lake. The area was popular among Chinese, Italian and Yugoslav settlers. The suburb was founded by a private trading concern and had a tram service in the early 1900s through an extension of the Perth Tram system from the end of the Leederville line. The suburb is now served by the Glendalough Train Station and several bus routes. Osborne Park became a residential suburb after World War II, but by the 1980s, it was ...

Read More