Suburb Profile


Scarborough


Home to one of the most iconic beaches in Perth, Scarborough is a desirable coastal suburb within the City of Stirling. Its five square kilometre land area is predominantly used for residential purposes, though it does have a significant entertainment precinct that attracts people from all over the Perth metropolitan area and beyond.  At the heart of Scarborough is the Scarborough Beach precinct. A popular ocean foreshore, it houses a hotel, a variety of shops, restaurants and of course a beautiful coastline. There are several parks and reserves in Scarborough, such as Abbett Park which provides locals with sporting facilities for football, squash, lawn bowls, tennis and cricket. There are also two primary schools, a library and a community recreation centre within the suburb. Source: reiwa.com.au  

Read More

Doubleview


Doubleview is named due to its views of both the Indian Ocean to the west and the Darling Range to the east. Laying between Scarborough to the West and Innaloo to the East, Doubleview offers a fantastic lifestyle opportunity being just 2.8km to Scarborough Beach and 12km to the Perth CBD. The suburb boasts well regarded schools, public transport routes, parks, local shopping and cafes.    *Distances are approx

Read More

Innaloo


Innaloo is a mixed-use suburb 10 kilometres from Perth City. It is bound by Karrinyup Road to the north, Mitchell Freeway to the east, Scarborough Beach Road to the south and Huntriss Road to the west. Extensive development of Innaloo began in the 1940s, with many of the homes that stand today renovated or restored versions of the original heritage buildings. With the beach close by as well as major shopping and retail facilities, Innaloo provides an enviable mix of urban and suburban benefits. Westfield Innaloo Shopping Centre is a central fixture of the suburb and is a major retail and commercial centre within the Perth metropolitan area. Parks and walkways feature throughout as well as recreational facilities, primary schools and other smaller shopping facilities. Innaloo was originally named "Njookenbooroo", a local Noongar Aboriginal name for a nearby swamp. 

Read More

Karrinyup


The name Karrinyup was originally derived from the word Careniup, a Noongar name for a nearby swamp which means "the place where bush kangaroos graze". In 1929, the foundation committee developing the Lake Karrinyup Country Club golf course opted to change the spelling. While the area had been subdivided by Charles Stoneman in 1904 and roads built, the country club remained the only significant feature in the area, and rapid growth did not begin until 1957, with the part south of Karrinyup Road developing first. At this stage, the only access to the area from Perth was via Wanneroo Road and Balcatta Beach Road. The building of the Mitchell Freeway to Karrinyup Road in 1983-84 facilitated the growth of Karrinyup and nearby Stirling About one-third of Karrinyup's land area is reserve or bushland, or part of the suburb's two golf courses. Karrinyup Road links Marmion Avenue and West Coast Highway to Mitchell Freeway through the suburb. Most of the houses in Ka...

Read More

Woodlands


Woodlands is part of the original 'Woodlands Estate' owned by John Daniel Manning. Thomas William Mews was assigned a parcel of the land in 1831. Mews could not fulfil the required duties, and the grant passed to TRC Walters in 1840. It was later part of the land owned by John Daniel Manning. In 1842 the locality was named 'Jackadup', the Aboriginal name for the area. This was later adapted to 'Jackadder Lake', which is still the name of the lake in Woodlands. Development in Woodlands started in the 1960s. The Floreat Lakes Estate to the south east was subdivided in 1991. Woodlands is part of the original 'Woodlands Estate', which was owned by John Daniel Manning. Part of the area that is now Woodlands was originally assigned to Thomas William Mews in 1831. However, as Mews could not fulfil the location duties, the grant passed to T. R. C. Walters in 1840. It was later part of the extensive lands owned by John Daniel Manning. Woodlands is one of Perth's original Northern S...

Read More

Wembley Downs


Wembley Downs is an inner northwestern suburb of Perth, Western Australia. It is about 10 km from the Perth CBD. The name "Wembley Downs" is actually derived from the name of the local golf course and the name was used by residents before being officially approved in 1959. The golf course was named after the suburb of Wembley, several kilometres east of Wembley Downs. The name ‘Wembley’ originates from a town in England. In 1927 Wembley Downs was subdivided into approximately 90 lots. Development was slow, due partly to the thick virgin bush and limestone outcrops, which made building difficult. In 1947 the Perth Road Board had to resume 600 blocks for unpaid rates, and these were sold at very cheap prices. However, growth accelerated in the 1950s and by the 1970s the area was almost completely developed. The key defining demographic characteristics of the Wembley Downs Area are its predominantly family household structure and higher income levels relative to most ot...

Read More